Blog post #1

After reading the Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti I’ve come to the conclusion that this poem is about the struggles two sisters faced in the attempt to overcome temptations through love and sacrifice and in doing so formed an even stronger bond for life. From the beginning Laura was warned time after time by her sister Lizzie not to be tempted by the Goblin men who sell fruits,these fruits according to Lizzie where unknown and could not be trusted.Unfortunately these warnings were not enough for Laura’s curiosity as she consumed the fruits anyway,even going as far as to hush her sisters second warning in which she stated “Nay, hush,”:“Nay, hush, my sister:I ate and ate my fill,Yet my mouth waters still;To-morrow night I will Buy more;” and kissed her:“Have done with sorrow;I’ll bring you plums to-morrow”. In consequence Laura would never hear of the Goblin men again or their fruits and would whittle away from the lack of their nectars. In an attempt to save her sister Lizzie sacrificed her own safety as she was forced and beaten by the Goblin men in order to retrieve nectar in  to save her sisters life .In the end both sisters share a new love and admiration for one another as they tell the story of the goblins to their own children now and how thanks to one sisters will was able to retrieve the antidote that binds them together.

-Kayla Ortiz